The Jill Thorn Grant is awarded by the Democratic Party of Clackamas County (DPCC) to a woman Democrat who preparing to run for public office for the first time. The recipient may use the $500 award at her discretion for training, preparation for a campaign or any other campaign-related expenses.
This award commemorates the legacy of Jill Thorn’s public service and the example her life provides to other women seeking to serve the community by serving in public office.
- Registered female Democrat
- Preparing to run for public office for the first time
- Resident of Clackamas County or running for an office that includes at least part of Clackamas County
- Nomination by a current DPCC Precinct Committee Person (PCP) using the J Thorn Grant Nomination Form OR direct application by using the J Thorn Grant Application Form. (See below.)
- Submission of either these completed by April 26, as directed on the form.
Nominations and applications will be accepted until April 26, 2019. After screening the forms, a representative of the subcommittee will contact each nominee or applicant to schedule a short interview. Interviews will be held April 26-30 at a time and place to be determined. After the subcommittee makes its decision, it will report to the Executive Committee of the DPCC on May 1. Should the Executive Committee approve the award, it will forward its recommendation to the Central Committee of the DPCC for consideration at its May 16 regular meeting. Announcement and presentation of the award will be scheduled subsequent to that decision.
- Demonstrated commitment to public service
- Need for support in pursuing candidacy for office
- Likelihood of success as a candidate for office
- Candidate responses provided on the application form and responses from a personal interview
The candidate may attach a one-page resume to the application form; or alternatively attach a one-page explanation of service and other details to be considered.
Application Form (Google Doc)
Nomination Form (Google Doc)
Jill Elaine Thorn (1944-2012)
Jill Thorn was an accomplished professional, wife and mother, as well as a public servant and community leader. She was elected to West Linn City Council in 1985 and served as Mayor of West Linn from 1993-2000.
She also served as a member of the League of Oregon Cities, as Chair of the Clackamas County Democrats, and Second Vice Chair of the Democratic Party of Oregon. Jill Thorn’s career was devoted to service to the community and mentoring others.
This award commemorates Jill’s public service and the example her life provides to other women seeking to serve the community by running for public office