Clackamas County appears to understand the value of public parks to their communities and the county as a whole. In recent months, they have began construction on one new park and opened another on lands previously acquired by the county.
By Peter Nordbye, Chair of Clackamas County Democrats
One of the great philosophical questions of all time is “WHY?” One of the great philosophical responses to that question most of the time is “WHY NOT?” But in answering “Why attend the Clackamas County Democratic Party fundraiser Roosevelt Dinner &Auction at the Tualatin Country Club on November 11th,” the “why not” response is not adequately deep in a cognative sense.
Here is why it is a great idea to attend the Roosevelt Dinner on November 11th:
- Our keynote speaker is Congressperson Suzanne Bonamici.
- Our DPO Chair, Jeanne Atkins, will present the Jill Thorn Grant Award to Sonya Fischer.
- The Monroe Sweetland Democrat of the Year Award will be revealed.
- Dave Hunt will be auctioneer and there are many fabulous items being auctioned.
- Once again, the silent auction and raffle items will blow your mind.
- It is always fun hanging out with fellow Democrats.
- It is very cool to hang out with Democrats nowadays.
- We raise funds to elect Democrats and to support important work in Clackamas County.
Then, again, Why Not?
Come join us at the Roosevelt Dinner & Auction on November 11th. Help build the Democratic Party of Clackamas County through your support. Besides, it’s really fun. You have until November 8th to purchase tickets to the dinner.
I will see you there!
They failed to replace it or outright kill it, so now the Trump administration is trying to undermine the Affordable Care Act with some pretty underhanded tricks. Some of them make it harder to enroll this year:
- They cut the enrollment period to less than half what it was before, just 45 days, from Nov. 1st to Dec. 15th.
- They plan to shut down the enrollment servers on Sundays during the enrollment period for “routine maintenance.” By the way, most working folks and college students enroll on weekends, and especially on Sunday, when they have more spare time.
- They will also shut down the federal exchange — healthcare.gov — overnight on the first day of open enrollment, Nov. 1st. More than three dozen states use that exchange for their marketplaces.
- They cut the advertising budget by 90 percent. It’s unlikely that you’ll see an enrollment ad this year.
- They also slashed the budget to agencies that help people enroll.
The Clackamas Democrats are honored to host Congresswoman Suzanne Bonamici as the keynote speaker at the Roosevelt Dinner & Auction on November 11th. Congresswoman Bonamici was first elected to the U.S. Congress in a special election in January of 2012. Previously she served in the Oregon House and Senate. We are excited that she will be joining us for an evening with friends, candidates, and politicians at the biggest fundraising event of the year, the Roosevelt Dinner & Auction, to be held at the Tualatin Country Club. Continue reading
By William Street
There is an informal discussion bubbling up at many Clackamas Democratic Committee meetings these days. Sides are being taken on a basic campaign approach:
Should the party allocate resources to attempt to sign up nonaffiliated (Motor Voter) citizens and seek to get them to re-register with a party affiliation? Or, instead, focus on getting more Democrats out to vote?
Unfortunately, “facts” can’t make the difficult priority resource decisions any easier. However, they can offer some insights to make a decision from a more “informed” position.
An analysis of Oregon’s Motor Voter election activity gives ammo to both sides. Continue reading
By Peter Toll
National headlines often state humongous numbers while those of us out here in the hinterlands feel less and less in control as Republicans try to gut funding for vital social problems and hand us the bill while passing on grandiose tax savings to the ultra-rich.
So how does President Trump’s proposed Waldencare legislation and tax plan impact us financially? Trump wants to gut your health care and drop all deductions for state, local and property taxes. Continue reading